10 Year Anniversary
Happy 10 Year Anniversary!
Happy 10 year anniversary to my wonderful husband and best friend, Michael!
To help celebrate, today on the blog, Michael and I are sharing 5 things we have learned over the course of the last 10 years of our marriage.
Michael’s 5 Anniversary Reflections
1. My wife is not me. She has her own way of getting things done and solving problems.
2. We all have different love languages. Be sure to need to learn your partner’s.
3. Nothing is perfect. And marriage is a marathon, not a sprint.
4. You need to support your spouse. Back them up no matter what.
5. Marriage is fun. Being with the girl who makes your heart skip a beat is a blessing.
My 5 Anniversary Reflections
1. Marry someone you can grow with. Someone who knows your flaws but loves you in spite of them. Marry someone who pulls the best out of you. (That’s like 3, but they all go together really!)
2. It’s cliche, but it’s TRUE: Continue to date your spouse. Life gets crazy. Kids are amazing but can require so much attention that you can lose your way. Put your relationship first and always make time for your spouse.
3. It’s okay to go to bed angry/hurt/upset. I find a lot of people say “always kiss me goodnight or never go to bed angry”, but for us, sometimes when we are tired (and that is a lot these days!) we are not at our best or thinking with a clear mind and heart. Sleep on it. Go to bed and get some rest. Wake up in the morning and talk about it with a fresh slate.
4. Marriage takes work. Sometimes that “work” feels easy and sometimes it feels like work. Find yourself a partner who not only wants to be present for the happy times but also everything in between. Choose to be with someone who won’t walk away when things get hard, but instead rolls their sleeves up alongside you to work it all out as you endure tough times together.
5. Communicate and LISTEN. While communication is KEY, I find listening is just as important. Don’t assume you know what they are going to say. Actually listen. And sometimes you just need to listen. Be the one they come to with good news, sad news, hard news, and everything in between.
Crazy in Love
It is so funny how different our answers are (I swear it’s the difference between men and women, and a huge difference between me and Michael- haha!) We have had our ups and downs. We have had hard moments and amazing moments. But no matter how much this man drives me CRAZY…I am forever crazy about him. I honestly cannot believe we have enjoyed the gift of marriage for 10 years now! It feels like such an accomplishment in a world where when things get hard, it’s okay to walk away. Michael is steadfast, loyal, and forever my rock.
Happy Anniversary to us! <3
PS- If you enjoyed reading this post, check out my post on Building Stronger Marriages here!